DISCOVER! Music Theory For Contemporary Musicians
This course is a must for anyone who wants to know how chord progressions work.
With over 160 musical examples musicians of any experience level can jump in and start learning.
DISCOVER! Vocal Arranging from Corey Allen
I've written vocal arrangements for the Manhattan Transfer, "Vocalese", "Suite Voice" and M-Pact to name just a few. This course shows you how to write world-class Pop, Doo-wop, Jazz, Rock, Latin, Gospel, Folk, Country, Blues and "Musical Theater" style vocal arrangements.
I have developed a very successful contemporary/popular music theory curriculum. Although the curriculum is designed for modern musicians to understand contemporary popular music, it is firmly rooted in the classical tradition.
My curriculum has been taught at the University of Southern California, the Universität Duisburg, Germany, the Universidad Nacional Pedro Henriquez Ureña in the Dominican Republic. (Una versión de mi método estará disponible en español pronto.) I have given master classes on this method at the University of Oregon, Milligan College and the University of Maine at Augusta.
Singers! How do you get noticed in today's market? The new musical landscape requires a new approach to be successful.
I've worked with some of the most successful singers in the world and I'll share my unique insight with you to help you get the most out of the people you've entrusted with your career - your arranger/producer, musical director, your recording team and your promotional team.
I have conducted symphony, studio and pit orchestras from Los Angeles to Monte Carlo. I conduct a wide variety of dynamic pops concert shows:
"An Evening Of Symphonic Magic" - featuring Corey at the piano with his rhythm section and the orchestra playing the music of Gershwin, Reinhart, Duke Ellington, Quincy Jones and a few originals.
"My Romance" - a tribute to the genius of Bill Evans featuring Corey at the piano with his rhythm section and the orchestra. (Click the "Recordings" button on the Store page for audio examples of the show.)
Cheryl Bentyne: Dreaming of Mister Porter - The Manhattan Transfer soprano's show includes classic versions of Cole Porter's songs.
Corey's classical repertoire includes:
• Mandolin Concerto in C - Vivaldi with Corey as mandolin soloist
• Die Moldau - Smetana
• Siegfried Idyll - Wagner
• L'Arlésienne Suite - Bizet
• The Bartered Bride Overture and/or Dances - Smetana
I also am available as a guest artist/mentor/conductor. I most recently did this at the "Jazzaar Concerts" festival in Aargau, Switzerland where I worked with the Aargau Youth Orchestra. While in Switzerland, I held a master class in piano performance at the Conservatoire De Lausanne.
• Since First I Saw Your Face - (S, A, T, B) Based on the traditional version by Thomas Morley (1558 -1602), from the beginning to the end this arrangement evolves from traditional into rich, jazz harmonies. (Moderate)
• Blue Prelude - (Sop. Solo lead w/ S, A, T, B) with p, b, g, d accompaniment (Difficult)
• As Time Goes By - (S, S, A, A) a cappella (Moderate/Difficult)
• Esperanca - (S, A, T, B) with p, d, b and Sop. sax accompaniment (Difficult)
• Ana Maria - (S, A, T, B) with p, b and d accompaniment (Moderate)
• Tull Tales - (S, A, T, B ) This fugue is based on an original theme and pays homage to the "Swingle Singers".
It is scored for p, b, dr, optional flt, gt. and keyboard parts. (Moderate/Difficult)
• Vivaldiana - (S, A, T, B ) This fugue is based on a theme by Vivaldi and pays homage to the "Swingle Singers". It is scored for p, b, d, dr. with optional flt. (Moderate/Difficult)
• Farmer's Market - (Sop. Solo lead w/ S, A, T, B) with p, b, d and optional guitar accompaniment (Difficult)
The following arrangements are available directly through Corey.
• Walk Around Heaven - Traditional gospel, scored for electric piano, strings, and woodwinds with lead vocalist or instrumentalist.
• For Claudio by Corey Allen (S, A, T, B) with p, b and d accompaniment (Moderate)
Orchestra Arrangements for Rent
• The Walden Suite - scored for flute soloist, (written solo optional) jazz trio (p, b, d) and symphony orchestra.
The score and parts are available from the composer.
• A Gershwin Medley - scored for p, b, d and symphony orchestra. This arrangement weaves the melodies of "Fascinatin' Rhythm", "'S Wonderful", "Nice Work If You Can Get It", "Our Love Is Here To Stay" and "Swanee" with those of "Rhapsody In Blue".
The score and parts are available from the composer.
• Alright With Me/Just One of Those Things - scored for symphony orchestra and jazz trio (p, b & d).
• Autumn Leaves - scored for symphony orchestra and jazz trio (p, b, d) and either vocal or instrumental lead.
• Stockholm Sweetnin - scored for symphony orchestra and jazz trio (p, b & d).
• Elegy - scored for symphony orchestra and jazz trio (piano lead, b & d).
Arrangements for Small Jazz Ensemble
• Alone At Last by Corey Allen There are two versions: Version 1 is scored for p, b, g, d, 2 Tpts, 1 Trb., alto, tenor and baritone saxes.
Version 2 is scored for p, b, g, d, and solo voice.
• The Walden Suite by Corey Allen - a 4-movt. suite for Flute solo, p, b g, d, 2 Tpts, 1 Trb., alto, tenor and baritone saxes.
• Fula by Corey Allen - a jazz/fusion tour de force scored for electric keyboard, b, g & d.
• Still Good Friends by Corey Allen - Two versions available; piano solo or vocal solo with piano acc.
• Willow Weep For Me - Samba, for electric keyboard, b, g and d.
• Go Tell It On The Mountain - in 5/4 a la Brubeck's "Take Five" scored for p, b, d with lead vocalist or instrumentalist.
• Little Drummer Boy - a la the Beatles' "Come Together" scored for p, b, d with lead vocalist or instrumentalist.
• Stolen Moments - R&B, this arrangement is scored for El. p, b, d with lead vocalist or instrumentalist.
• Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most - scored for either piano lead or lead vocalist and string quartet.